2020 Cross Country Information
(subject to change)
(subject to change)
- Practices are held every weekday starting at 3:15 at Eastside Park. There is no transportation provided from the school to the park. Typically, athletes walk there together. There will not be practice on Labor Day.
- Practices will end by 4:15 - 4:30. Please arrange to be picked up at that time.
- Athletes should come to practice prepared with water and dressed ready to run.
- Physicals must be turned in before an athlete can participate in a running workout. However, the practices can still be attended and counted. A physical turned in to the school from a previous year or sport is still good for this year - Parents need only fill out the Interim Questionnaire under ‘District Forms’ on the PowerSchool website or App.
- Any other required paperwork can be accessed in PowerSchool and needs to be submitted as soon as possible.
- 10 practices are required before an athlete can participate in a meet.
- A spirit pack will need to be paid for at the Junior High school office during their regular hours prior to the first meet. Show the receipt to the coach to receive your spirit pack. The cost is $40. The spirit pack consists of a running jersey and running shorts – both are orange. It is the same uniform used for Junior High and High School Cross Country and Track & Field in the spring. Although, starting this year, we are using up the spirit packs we have on hand and beginning to phase in a new uniform of a different style.
- NOTE: Some meets are not held at the host school’s grounds. A map and directions to the meets will be provided a couple of days in advance. Meets are typically scheduled to begin sometime between 4:00pm & 4:30pm and consist of 4 separate races. The girls junior varsity race is typically first, followed by boys junior varsity, girls varsity, and boys varsity. All races are 3K.
- Athletes will be picked up at their school for meets and dropped off at the Junior High upon return.
*Athletes may ride home with parents from a meet after it is over if the parent checks them out with a coach. If athletes need
to ride home with another family member or friend, permission must be obtained in advance from the Junior High office.
- We will be social distancing during our warm-ups and workouts. Practice workouts will be adjusted to individual athletes based upon their ability and improvement throughout the season. We will work toward an initial target time of 17.5 minutes for boys and 18.75 minutes for girls running 3 kilometers (approx.. 7.5 laps on the track). After the first couple weeks of practice, athletes will be organized into 3 groups:
- A-Team – Those that have achieved the initial target time and finish among the top 7 boys or top 7 girls on the team. The top 7 on the A-Team will run the Varsity races (3K). They will be given more challenging workouts including road routes. The A-Team will primarily be the ones invited to go to the extra Friday and Saturday meets.
- B-Team – Those that have achieved the initial target time. The B-Team will run in the Junior Varsity races. They can make the A-Team anytime throughout the season by achieving a faster time than someone on the A-Team - so, some runners may be moved between Varsity and JV from week to week. The B-Team will be given workouts designed to focus on their improvement, including road routes.
- C-Team – Developing runners that are working toward meeting the initial target time. They will focus on building endurance, pacing, and form. They will have an opportunity every week for a time trial to monitor their progress. Most of their workouts will be run at Eastside Park. The C-Team will run in the Junior Varsity races.
- Coaches: Dan Young, MHHS Jessica Cameron, West Elementary
School: 587-2570 School: 587-2595
Cell: 599-0796 Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org