Parent - Athlete Sports Information Letter
Junior High Sports and COVID - 19
The first day of practice for football, cross country and volleyball will be August 17th, 2020 at 3;30. Please check out each sport's web page for practice locations. Some schools in our league have opted to not participate this fall. For that reason, the schedules have been taken down from the website. New schedules will be uploaded by Tuesday, August 11th.
Dear Hacker and Junior High Parents,
I would like to take a moment and touch base with you as we start to approach fall sports. Below is information about the athletic packet and how the school will be handling them, along with some reminders about the athletic department. You will be able to find calendars of scheduled events, updates, handbooks, and print outs on our Jr. High sports webpage.
The athletic packet is available to fill out on the Parent Portal section of Power School. When filling out the packet, Power School will have entered most of your demographic information for you, all you need to do is verify that it is correct. You will be able to update the athletic packet starting August 3rd. The directions on how to get to the packet are as follows:
- Log into the Parent Portal of Power School
- Click on “District Forms”
- Click on “Athletic Packet”
- Fill out all the necessary information
- Insert digital signature and submit
Physicals will still need to be filled out separately by a physician. You can get the form through Power School or the Jr. High web page. Please remember that 6th- 8th graders only need one physical on file while participating in Jr. High athletics and activities. Physicals need to be turned into the Jr. High Office. Athletes are ineligible to practice and/or participate until a physical is on file.
Students who are in 6th grade may participate in Cross Country, Wrestling, and Track and Field. Students in 7th and 8th grade may participate in Cross Country, Volleyball, Football, Girls Basketball, Wrestling, Boys Basketball, and Track and Field. A copy of the physical form can be downloaded from the link above this page.
All student athletes will be required to have weekly progress reports. If at any time a student has a report with one (1) or more F’s, they will be ineligible until they have passing grades on a progress report. If a student fails to turn in the progress report to his/her coach, they will be considered ineligible until the following week. Any student that has been suspended will not be eligible to participate in the next event, this includes in school and out of school suspensions.
A student must be in attendance half (four class periods) of the school day of a contest to participate, truant or suspended students are not allowed to participate or practice. This counts as an unexcused absence. Any student that is not in school the day of the contest is not allowed to be in attendance during the contest.
A student must purchase an Activity card in order to be eligible to participate. Hacker students may visit the Jr. High Office to have one made. The cost is $10.
All spirit packs will be purchased through the Jr. High office.
A student must have ten days of practice prior to the first interscholastic athletic competition in sports season. All participants involved in athletics or activities must attend practices on a regular basis in order to participate in competition. One unexcused practice absence, the athlete may not participate in the next event. Two unexcused practices absences, the student will be dismissed from the team.
The Intervalley League will follow the Idaho High School Activities Association (IHSAA) rules, regulations, and guidelines unless otherwise determined by the Intervalley League.
NON SCHOOL PARTICIPATION
A student who participates in organized non-school sports (i.e. club teams), “Outside competition” after the starting date of the season for that sport, except as provided in Rule 12, is ineligible for the school team for the
remainder of that sport season. Students can practice with outside groups.
Outside Competition is organized non-school contests.
You can find a copy of the athletic packet and the InterValley League Guidelines on the Jr. High web page.
The first days of practice for the 2020-21 Jr. High sports are as follows:
- Football will practice at East Side Park from 3:30-5:30 Monday-Friday. The first day of practice is August 17th. Gear will be handed out on August 13th at 5:30 pm at East Side Park.
- Volleyball tryouts are August 17th, 18th and 19th from 3:30-5:30. The 8th graders will tryout at Hacker Middle School, 7th graders will tryout at the Jr. High. Once teams are established, 7th & 8th A teams will practice at Hacker Middle School; 7th & 8th B teams will practice at Mountain Home Junior High. Practices will be 3:30 to 5:30 Monday - Friday.
- Cross Country will start practice on August 17th. Practice is Monday-Friday at Eastside Park from 3:15-4:15. Grades 6th -8th may participate.
- Wrestling will be practicing at Bennett Mountain High School gym. The first day of practice is October 12th. Practice is Monday- Friday from 3:30-5:30. Grades 6th -8th may participate.
- Girls Basketball tryouts are Oct. 5-7th from 3:30-5:30pm. Tryouts will take place for the 8th graders at Hacker Middle School; 7th grade at Mountain Home Junior High. Once teams are established, 7th & 8th A teams will practice at Hacker Middle School; 7th & 8th B teams will practice at Mountain Home Junior High. Practices will take place at 3:30 to 5:30, Monday - Friday.
- Boys Basketball tryouts are January 11th-13th from 3:30-5:30. Once teams are established, 7th & 8th A teams will practice at Hacker Middle School; 7th & 8th B teams will practice at Mountain Home Junior High.
- Track and Field will start on March 15th. Students will practice at East Side Park daily starting at 3:30. Grades 6th -8th may participate, Monday-Friday. Daily practice time will also be from 3:30-5:30, Monday-Friday.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I look forward to working with you all. Thank you for your time and Go Tigers!
Mountain Home Junior High